Since the beginning of 2021, the R2P has been implementing a project on environmental and resource restoration of the hostilities-affected areas in eastern Ukraine. Within the framework of the project, 6 dialogue sessions with ecology and mining experts were held. The experts shared their experience and understanding of the environmental and industrial risks that are present in the region. Currently, the Team of the CF “Right to Protection” continues to support the thematic discussion on environmental issues in eastern Ukraine, conducts advocacy campaigns to draw the attention of the public to this issue, informs government officials about the next necessary steps, and calls local people for dialogue to prevent environmental disaster.
On Tuesday, October 19, 2021, the CF “Right to Protection” (R2P) held an online press conference “The environmental situation in Donbas: what’s next? Eco-journalism in eastern Ukraine”.
The event was joined by the following speakers:
- Valentyna Troyan, journalist, editor of the regional service, host of the Hromadske Radio;
- Oleksandra Horchynska, journalist at NV.UA;
- Yakubovych Tetyana, editor of the Radio “Donbas Realii” project of the Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty Ukrainian Service;
- Lukianenko Oleksandra, Manager of the Project “Peacebuilding and Reconciliation on Environmental and Resource Restoration in eastern Ukraine”, Charitable Fund “Right to Protection” (R2P);
- Viktoria Dei, Head of the Public Information Department of the Charitable Fund “Right to Protection” (R2P);
- Yakovlev Yevhen, Doctor of Technical Sciences, Chief Researcher of the Institute of The National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine (NASU).
During the event the speakers discussed existing and potential environmental problems in Donetsk and Luhansk regions, namely the uncontrolled flooding of mines in the temporarily occupied territories, subsidence, soil pollution (including the sources of drinking water), as well as the impact of hostilities on dangerous objects located in the region. Also the representatives of the CF “Right to Protection” (R2P) will present the results of the project “Peacebuilding and Reconciliation on Environmental and Resource Restoration in eastern Ukraine”. In particular, the R2P Team will showcase the results of the contest of mini-projects for journalists, which was conducted within the framework of this project.
The recording of the Press Conference is available on YouTube:
The project “Peacebuilding and Reconciliation on Environmental and Resource Restoration in eastern Ukraine” is implemented by the CF “Right to Protection” (R2P) with the support of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). All the developments under the project are the sole responsibility of the R2P and do not necessarily reflect the views of the USAID or the United States Government.