From today until December 10, within the framework of the UN Secretary General’s UNiTE Global Campaign, United Nations in Ukraine prepared the campaign «16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence in Ukraine», the theme of which in 2020 is «Orange the World: Fund, Respond, Prevent, Collect!».
According to the research data by UN Women, as well as a to a number of other organizations, the incidence of domestic violence against women has increased significantly since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic. We recently wrote about the results of a study by the Right to Protection CF – our colleagues found out that such trends, unfortunately, are also present in Ukraine, along the demarcation line. Lockdown has negatively affected the mobility of women who are at risk of violence against them due to them constant being in a closed space, without ability to protect themselves.
In numbers, according to the UN:
- 21 million women worldwide are refugees and internally displaced persons, representing 50% of the total number of IDPs. They are in the category of persons particularly vulnerable to gender-based violence;
- 1 in 3 female respondents have experienced physical and / or sexual violence at some point in their life, most often committed by their intimate partner;
- Only 52% of women in a relationship have the opportunity to make their own choices about contraception, sexual life and medical care;
- 71% of victims of trafficking are women, 3/4 of them have been sexually exploited;
We invite you to join the global movement by watching the digital performance «New Scars», created jointly by the United Nations in Ukraine and the Wild Theater*, who collected real stories of Ukrainian women about their physical and mental wounds caused by violence. Main idea of the play is that it is fully interactive. As a spectator, you can influence the plot, choose the scenes and how the actors will behave in a given situation.
* Disclaimer: spectacle contains scenes of cruelty and is intended for an audience of 14+
Broadcast on UA: Culture TV will be on November 29 at 22:00
Trailers available on the UN Women Ukraine Facebook page
Website – https://scars.org.ua/
Event page – https://fb.me/e/HNPMZSyF