Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline19/8/2021 – 28/8/2021
Right to Protection (R2P) is a Ukrainian not-for profit organization. R2P is dedicated to protecting refugees who find themselves in Ukraine due to dire circumstances. R2P ensures the protection and human rights of other vulnerable migrants – the conflict affected, the internally displaced (IDPs), the stateless, the undocumented and those at risk of statelessness. R2P’s key programmatic strengths are legal assistance, monitoring, advocacy as well as government and civil society capacity building. R2P has approximately 150 staff members working across Ukraine.
R2P is undertaking a project on “Strengthening disaster risk mitigation in conflict affected areas of Ukraine”, to be implemented by a Consortium led by ACTED and including IMPACT Initiatives.
The project will aim to reduce the vulnerability of conflict-affected populations in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts to the risks posed by flooded mines across both sides of the LOC. ACTED, IMPACT, and R2P will seek to understand the impact of the mines on the surrounding area, specifically hazards such as land subsidence, water pollution, and agricultural contamination. Through field research, engagement of local authorities and a cross-LoC dialogue series between environmental experts, the project aims to generate evidence on these risks as well as actionable recommendations. As a result of partner activities, local actors (notably authorities, CSOs, citizens) will have a greater understanding of environmental threats from flooded mines across the LOC that may impact their communities, and have practical recommendations to best report and address them.
The Advocacy Analyst will be the person responsible for developing the Advocacy Strategy and Targets together with R2P’s Advocacy Manager, preparing analytical materials and report for supporting implementation of R2P’s advocacy activities under this project, namely advocacy on humanitarian principles and protection. He or she will report to the Project Manager and work closely with R2P’s Advocacy Manager (who will work on the advocacy component), R2P’s Project Manager assistant.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
- Advocacy analyst will assist the project manager to take the lead in coordinating the planning and implementation of project activity;
- Participation in the development of the advocacy plan, identifying and implementing most appropriate advocacy activities in close consultations with the Advocacy Manager and Project manager;
- Using the information collected under project’s activities, in particular agricultural soil testing, and in close collaboration with Soil Expert, Advocacy Manager and partners he/she will compile an overview report to identify the negative impacts on the environment, economy, community assets, and the population, covering the issues of pollution of agricultural lands and produce, contamination of water sources, as well as the risks to infrastructure (taking into consideration the flow of wastewater streams).
- Preparing analytical materials for meetings at national and oblast level focused on the uncontrolled flooding of coal mines in the Donbass
- Oversight in establishing and maintaining contacts with the relevant branches and agencies of the Ukrainian government, NGOs, and other parties as may be required for increasing effectiveness of the project;
- Share the recommendations and key findings of the research and project activities to the relevant state agencies with the aim that this would be used during the formation of strategies and programs within the national policy cycle and the relevant prevention measures would be taken by authorities
- Preparation and coordination of various reports, including statistical and analytical;
- Assure the timely, accurate, and full submission of reporting.
- University level of education in law, DRR, conflict studies, or other relevant fields;
- At least 2 years of advocacy and/or legal practice.
- Experience of working with the Ukrainian Parliament and Ukrainian executive state institutions and a background in DRR issues are a strong asset;
- Proven capacity to conduct lobbying and advocacy activities, design, and produce high quality deliverables, including policy papers, etc;
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, Russian, and Ukrainian, both verbally and in writing;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with diverse groups of people;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, energetic approach to problem solving;
- Organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Previous experience with disaster risk reduction/preparedness is an advantage, as would be humanitarian experience.
We offerWe offer
- R2P will offer the successful applicant a contract in line with Ukrainian legislation, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
APPLICATION PROCESSAPPLICATION PROCESS
Send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with the title ‘Advocacy analyst’. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for the interview. No phone calls, please.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE DATEAPPLICATIONS CLOSE DATE28 August 2021. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.