Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline26/11/2021- 10/12/2021
The Right to Protection (R2P), an all-Ukrainian charitable foundation that strives for Ukraine to become a country where refugees, stateless, non-citizens and displaced persons enjoy dignity and protection, launches the Advocacy and Legal Protection Programme funded by UNHCR to be implemented in 2022.
The Programme is aimed to provide protection and legal assistance to asylum seekers and refugees from around the world. The Programme also contributes to building a humane asylum system in Ukraine by training local judges, immigration and law-enforcement officials, and law students, and by developing legislative proposals and administrative regulations.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
The Advocate as a member of the Legal Team will be reported to the Project Manager.
- Legal counseling of asylum seekers on the governmental asylum procedure;
- Monitoring asylum seekers’ access to the territory of Ukraine through its main international air-gates, e.g. Kyiv-Boryspil and Kyiv-Zhuliany International Airports, as well as the SBGS Temporary Holding Facility (THF) of the SBGS;
- Monitoring asylum seekers’ rights in the Migration Custody Center (MCC) in Chernihiv region, Temporary holding facilities;
- Conducting interviews with the beneficiaries and legal matters related to the Migration Service and courts’ issues;
- Intervene in incidents of extradition, unlawful detention and police harassment involving asylum seekers and refugees;
- Providing information about the right to appeal detention and deportation decisions, and negative decisions of migration authority on refugee claims;
- Assistance asylum seekers in suing their appeals against the court decisions about refugee status, detention and deportation, as well as represent them in the courts (refer asylum appeals to other lawyers within the organization or to partner NGOs for further representation of the asylum seekers in the courts, where necessary);
- Establishing liaisons with refugee-assisting NGOs and INGOs in Ukraine. Establish and maintain work relations with relevant state authorities;
- Assistance in organizing training events under the project. Train on the refugee protection and the European and Ukrainian up-to-date legislation state officials including borderguards, migration service officials, judges;
- Provision/dissemination of the information on asylum procedure at the border check points and detention facilities;
- Keep abreast of domestic and European developments concerning the refugee-related legislation;
- Maintaining paper and computer files for cases counseled;
- Maintaining up-to-date information on country conditions for countries in your area of expertise;
- Participation in meetings and conferences on behalf of R2P;
- Follow other instructions of the project manager.
Reporting & Accountability
- Produce high quality and timely reports in line with R2P guidelines within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies and procedures, particularly with respect to child protection and the code of conduct.
Required qualifications and skillsRequired qualifications and skills
- An advocate license;
- Driving license;
- At least 3 years of work experience in legal practice including, legal advisory expertise, court representation;
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, Ukrainian and Russian, both verbally and in writing;
- Excellent usage of computers and office software packages;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, energetic approach to problem solving;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including acceptance of responsibility to ensure that organizational objectives, policies and requirements are met;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work independently and in team and to meet deadlines;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Fulfill all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Treat all people fairly without favoritism.
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract for 9 months starting from January 18, 2022 renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Application processApplication process
Send resume to email@example.com. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for the interview. No phone calls, please.
Applications close date
10 December 2021. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.