Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline20/05/2020 – 27/05/2020
Work placeWork placeKyiv
General informationGeneral information
The Right to Protection (R2P), an all-Ukrainian charitable foundation, in partnership with HIAS, that strives for Ukraine to become a country where refugees, stateless, non-citizens and displaced persons enjoy dignity and protection, launches the Advocacy and Legal Protection Programme in Kharkiv funded by UNHCR to be implemented in 2020.
The Programme is aimed to provide protection and legal assistance to asylum seekers and refugees from around the world. The Programme also contributes to building a humane asylum system in Ukraine by training local judges, immigration and law-enforcement officials, and law students, and by developing legislative proposals and administrative regulations.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
The Advocate as a member of the Legal Team will report to the Project Manager and work in close cooperation with other LPS Lawyers and Advocates.
- Representation of asylum seekers in court hearings, the migration authorities, law-enforcement and other agencies of the Ukrainian government;
- Legal counselling of asylum seekers on the governmental asylum procedure;
- Assistance to Project Manager in monitoring changes in international and Ukrainian legal and legislative acts related to the delivery of program services, and in maintenance and distribution of relevant legal information to colleagues and, when necessary, outside parties;
- Assistance to Project Manager in providing legal support for R2P operations, including but not limited to, preparation and review of relevant contractual documents, intervention in conflict situations and others requiring your input;
- Maintaining paper and computer files for cases counselled;
- Maintaining up-to-date information on country conditions for countries in your area of expertise;
- Preparation of reports, including statistical information;
- Participation in meetings and conferences on behalf of R2P.
Reporting & Accountability
- Produce high quality and timely reports in line with R2P guidelines within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies and procedures, particularly with respect to child protection and the Code of Conduct.
Required qualifications and skillsRequired qualifications and skills
- Higher education in law;
- An advocate license;
- At least three years of work experience in legal practice including, legal advisory expertise, court representation;
- Knowledge of the refugee issues and its peculiarities in Ukraine;
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, Ukrainian and Russian, both verbally and in writing;
- Excellent usage of computers and office software packages;
- Mature judgment combined with a proactive, energetic approach to problem-solving;
- Ability to work independently and in team and to meet deadlines;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Commitment to teamwork;
- Fulfill all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism.
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract till December 31, 2020, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Application processApplication process
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title ‘Advocate‘. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for interview. No phone calls, please.
Applications close date
27 May 2020. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.