Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline30/11/2020 – 13/12/2020
Right to Protection (R2P) is a Ukrainian not-for-profit organization. R2P ensures the protection and human rights of vulnerable migrants—including conflict-affected persons, the internally displaced (IDPs), and refugees, who find themselves in Ukraine due to dire circumstances, those who are stateless are at risk of statelessness, and those who possess undocumented status. R2P’s key programmes are legal assistance, human rights monitoring, advocacy and civil society capacity building.
The project Advocacy, Protection and Legal Assistance to the Internally Displaced Population of Ukraine aims to strengthen the protective environment for internally displaced persons and conflict affected populations (hereafter referred to as IDPs) through directly responding to their needs at community and individual levels as well as developing civil society capacities to identify and implement durable, long-term solutions.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
The Lawyer Specialising in Advocacy, as a member of the Project Team, will report to the Advocacy Coordinator, and work in close cooperation with the Legal and Protection Coordinators as well as the Project Manager. The position is based in Kyiv at R2P’s Main Office.
- Work autonomously within the scope of advocacy efforts identified by the Advocacy Coordinator and Manager in line with the Advocacy Strategy developed by the Advocacy Team;
- Lead the advocacy directions assigned, identify and implement the most appropriate advocacy activities in close consultation with the Advocacy Coordinator and Legal and Protection Coordinators of the IDP-assisting project;
- Organize and conduct events and meetings with the main actors at local, national and international levels;
- Identify the legal gaps in Ukrainian legislation concerning IDPs and the conflict affected population, and suggest improvements that need to be made in order to ensure that the Government’s legal and policy response to internal displacement in Ukraine is implemented;
- Consolidate analytical information, draft analytical reports and other materials to present gaps that should be addressed;
- Draft new legislation, including amendments, regulations and instructions, to address the concerns identified;
- Liaise with R2P’s partners to follow-up on the situation for IDPs in Ukraine;
- Support R2P’s activity and the activities of international observers in any other aspect that is required and provide advice to R2P on any legal issues as required.
Coordination and Representation
- Ensure effective communication, coordination and information-sharing with other R2P key staff;
- Establish and maintain cooperation with key duty bearers;
- Represent R2P at all relevant coordination fora with partner organizations as well as duty bearers.
Reporting & Accountability
- Coordinate results of the efforts with the Advocacy Coordinator on a two-weekly basis to ensure the implementation of the Advocacy Strategy and/or to amend the Advocacy Strategy where necessary;
- Produce high quality and timely reports in line with donors’ guidelines within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies and procedures, particularly those concerning the code of conduct.
Required qualificationsRequired qualifications
- Higher education in law;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Proven capacity to conduct lobbying and advocacy activities, design, and produce high quality deliverables, including policy and legal papers, etc;
- Experience of working with the Ukrainian Parliament and Ukrainian executive state institutions is a strong asset. Experience of working with the EU and EU institutions is desirable;
- Experience or knowledge of humanitarian aid and development policy and research as well as specific knowledge and experience in working with IDPs human rights situation is a strong asset;
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, Ukrainian and Russian, both verbally and in writing;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfil all obligations in line with gender equality and take a zero tolerance approach to sexual harassment;
- Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in close collaboration with team members;
- Ability to take initiative;
- Commitment to team work;
- Highly motivated self-starter;
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract until December 31, 2021, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Application processApplication process
Send a resume to email@example.com with the title ‘Lawyer_Advocacy’. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for the interview. No phone calls, please.