Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline23/06/2020 – 30/06/2020
Work placeWork placeKyiv
General informationGeneral information
Right to Protection (R2P) is a Ukrainian not-for profit organization. R2P ensures the protection and human rights of vulnerable migrants – the conflict affected, the internally displaced (IDPs), the refugees, who find themselves in Ukraine due to dire circumstances, the stateless, the undocumented, and those at risk of statelessness. R2P’s key programmatic strengths are legal assistance, monitoring, advocacy as well as government and civil society capacity building.
The project Advocacy, Protection and Legal Assistance to the Internally Displaced Population of Ukraine is aimed to strengthen the protective environment for internally displaced persons and other affected populations (here and after referred to as IDPs) through directly responding to their needs at community and individual levels as well as developing civil society capacities to identify and implement durable, long-term solutions.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
The Legal Analyst as a member of the Project Team will be reported to the Advocacy Coordinator, and work in close cooperation with the Legal and Protection Coordinators as well as the Project Manager. The position is settled in Kyiv at the R2P Main Office.
- Work autonomously within the scope of advocacy efforts identified by the Advocacy Coordinator and Manager in line with the Advocacy Strategy developed by the Advocacy Team;
- Lead the advocacy directions assigned, identify and implement most appropriate advocacy activities in close consultations with Advocacy Coordinator and Legal and Protection Coordinators of the IDP-assisting project;
- Identify the legal gaps in Ukrainian legislation concerning IDPs and conflict affected population, and suggest improvements need to be made in order to ensure that the Government’s legal and policy response to internal displacement in Ukraine is implemented;
- Consolidate analytical information, draft analytical reports and other materials to present gaps that shall be addressed;
- Draft new legislation, including amendments, regulations and instructions, to address the concerns identified;
- Liaise with the R2P’s partners to follow-up on the situation for IDPs in Ukraine;
- Organize and conduct meetings with main actors at local, national and international levels;
- Support the activity of the R2P and of the international observers in any other aspect that is required and provide advice to the R2P on any legal issues as required.
Coordination and Representation
- Ensure effective communication, coordination and information-sharing with other R2P’s thematic components and key staff;
- Establish and maintain cooperation with key duty bearers;
- Represent R2P at all relevant coordination fora with partner organizations as well as duty bearers.
Reporting & Accountability
- Coordinate results of the efforts with the Advocacy Coordinator on a two-weekly basis to ensure the implementation of the Advocacy Strategy and/or to amend the Advocacy Strategy, if necessary;
- Produce high quality and timely reports in line with donors’ guidelines within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies and procedures, particularly with respect to the code of conduct.
Required qualifications and skillsRequired qualifications and skills
- Higher education in law;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Proven capacity to conduct lobbying and advocacy activities, design, and produce quality knowledge products, including policy and legal papers, etc;
- Experience of working with the Ukrainian Parliament and Ukrainian executive state institutions is a strong asset. Desirable is the experience of working with the EU and the EU institutions;
- Experience or knowledge of humanitarian aid and development policy and research as well as specific knowledge and experience in working with IDPs human rights situation is a strong asset;
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, Ukrainian and Russian, both verbally and in writing;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism;
- Fulfill all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work in close collaboration with team members;
- Commitment to team work;
- Highly motivated self-starter;
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract till December 31, 2020, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Application processApplication process
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title ‘Legal Analyst’. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for interview. No phone calls, please.
Applications close date
30 June 2020. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.