Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline1/7/2021 – 11/7/2021
The Right to Protection, CF (R2P) is a charitable fund that strives for Ukraine to become a country where refugees, stateless, non-citizens and displaced persons enjoy dignity and protection.
Since the beginning of the conflict in the East of Ukraine R2P has been monitoring the protection situation of IDPs, providing legal assistance and strengthening humanitarian response in Donetsk, Luhansk, Kharkiv, Dnipro, Zaporizhzhya regions.
PROJECT OVERVIEWPROJECT OVERVIEW
The Toretsk- Horlivka-Yenakievo coal mining network is one of the largest coal mining agglomerations in Eastern Ukraine and includes over 30 mines. With the energy sector reform started in the early 2000s, the long-lasting coal mine closure and conservation processes have begun and as of 2021 only three mines near the Toretsk area are operating officially. Up to 30 spoil tips of coal mines are located in less than 500m distance of resident areas and infrastructure facilities of Toretsk area, where the land subsidence risk is high, causing infrastructure damages overall and to the water supply system in particular.
Monitoring is the basis for understanding the state of the environment and planning of measures to prevent natural and anthropogenic environmental disasters. Due to the conflict, the monitoring system covering the regional mine network is no longer operational. The lack of exchange of information between the two sides of the LOC on the issue further limits risk oversight and management, exposing settlements and populations on both sides of the LoC to a significant risk of disaster.
The project will aim to reduce the vulnerability of conflict-affected populations in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts to the risks posed by flooded mines across both sides of the LOC. Through field research, engagement of local authorities, and a dialogue series between environmental experts, the project aims to generate evidence on these risks as well as actionable recommendations.
The Project Manager will report to the R2P Deputy Director.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIESDUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Organize, manage and carry out the day to day implementation of the project by contributing to the effective and timely design, planning, monitoring and evaluation process;
- Take the lead in coordinating the planning and implementation of the project activities in conjunction with the dialogue facilitators, partners, and other organizations and individual experts;
- Manage the expert’s activities, including coordination, planning, mentoring the operations, and reporting;
- Manage the assigned team, ensure all project related activities comply with the project relevant donor’s and organization’s policies and regulations;
- Preparation and coordination of various project reports, including narrative, statistical, analytical and financial information related to the research activities;
- Collaborate with R2P other Coordinators, and Finance-Admin department to ensure that the project achieves expected results;
- Troubleshoot project problems. Identify and implement creative solutions;
- Participate in fundraising activities and ensure the sustainability of project results.
Budgeting and finance management
- Manage the project’s budget and oversee related procurement in compliance with donor and R2P guidelines, with support from R2P Head of Finance and Administration.
Coordination and Representation
- Represent the project at all relevant coordination fora with partner organizations as well as duty bearers;
- Keep regular communication, information exchange and ensure coordination with project partners;
- Ensure regular mapping of local stakeholders and services available in the targeted area.
- Identify, prioritize areas and content for advocacy activities within the project;
- Plan, implement, and follow-up on advocacy activities within the project.
Reporting & Accountability
- Produce high quality and timely reports for R2P and donors within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONSREQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree or equivalent in ecology/environmental studies, law, development studies or other relevant area;
- Minimum two years of managerial experience of international donor projects dealing with ecology, humanitarian aid, sustainable development and/ or other relevant area.
- Commitment to teamwork;
- Strong communication skills;
- Highly motivated self-starter;
- Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian, and in English;
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent team building and staff management skills;
- Collaborative results-oriented management style;
- Ability to motivate and supervise a high-performing team in a politically sensitive environment.
WE OFFERWE OFFER
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract till June 30, 2022, renewable dependent on performance and funding;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
APPLICATION PROCESSAPPLICATION PROCESS
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title ‘Project Manager’. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for the interview. No phone calls, please.