Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline25/03/2020 – 20/04/2020
Work placeWork placeRemote
General informationGeneral information
Right to Protection (R2P) is a Ukrainian nonprofit organization operating in close partnership with HIAS, one of the world’s oldest refugee aid organizations. R2P is dedicated to protecting refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced persons (IDPs), stateless persons and those at risk of statelessness, and other migrants and conflict-affected populations who find themselves in Ukraine. R2P’s operations focus on legal assistance, monitoring, advocacy, and government and civil society capacity building. R2P has approximately 150 staff operating in 10 offices across Ukraine with its Headquarters in Kyiv.
R2P’s internship program offers excellent graduate-level students and recent graduates the opportunity to acquire direct exposure to the humanitarian and human rights issues in Ukraine. Moreover, it offers the opportunity to gain first-hand exposure to the human rights advocacy and humanitarian response work of a national NGO operating on the ground. The internship is designed to complement human rights-oriented or similar studies with practical experience in various professional capacities. Interns will not be financially remunerated by R2P.
Objective of the internship: Based at R2P’s Headquarters in Kyiv, or based remotely where appropriate, the intern is expected to assist the Communications and Advocacy Departments to develop and strengthen a range of communications activities meant for consumption by international NGOs, R2P’s partners and donors, international audiences, and other relevant stakeholders. The messaging will focus on social media campaigns design to raise awareness around R2P’s projects and priorities.
The intern will have an excellent opportunity to deepen his/her knowledge of the human rights and humanitarian operations in Ukraine, communications strategies on pressing and sensitive issues, and will gain an appreciation for and will have an opportunity to work with the broad array of human rights and humanitarian actors operating in Ukraine.
Duties and tasksDuties and tasks
- Assist in developing content for R2P’s official Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other social media accounts.
- Prepare and edit (using photo- and video-editing software) multimedia materials relating to the human rights situation in Ukraine, and aimed at raising awareness about R2P’s activities around the country.
- Conducting media and social media monitoring; preparing an overview of R2P’s media coverage and exposure; collect examples of quality human rights material in media and social media;
- Cooperate with R2P field operations to collect photos and design featured stories;
- Assist in drafting, editing and/or translation of articles, feature stories, captions and other organizational documents to be published in English;
- Maintain up-to-date photo bank of pictures from R2P’s field activities, meetings, seminars, and other events;
- Assist with maintaining R2P’s stock of visibility materials;
- Other tasks as required.
Professionals requirementsProfessionals requirements
- Enrolled in a graduate program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher) in Human Rights, Humanitarian Response, International Relations, Journalism, Communication, Media, Political Science, Law or another related field; or
- Enrolled the final academic year of a first university program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent) Human Rights, Humanitarian Response, International Relations, Journalism, Communication, Media, Political Science, Law or another related field; or
- Graduate student within two years of graduation of any of the above.
- At least 2 years of work experience in communications, media, publishing, or some other related field;
- Understanding of how to design eye-catching social media templates;
- Familiarity with human rights documents and publications; ability to scan documents and identify useful data for publication;
- Proficiency in photo-editing software, movie-editing software, and other editing and design templates;
- Mature judgment combined with and an enthusiastic and proactive approach to continued learning;
- Familiarity with the humanitarian project life cycles;
- Exposure to donor programs’ requirements (UNHCR, Europe AID/ECHO, USAID, UNDP, GIZ, etc.);
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to work independently and in teams;
- Intermediate photography and/or filming skills.
- Excellent, native-level ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English; Russian and Ukrainian language skills are considered a strong asset;
- Translation skills are an asset.
We offerWe offer
- Ability to make a difference in the lives of IDPs, conflict-affected persons, refugees, asylum seeker, and the stateless;
- Opportunity to work with one of the most influential human rights and humanitarian NGOs operating in Ukraine;
- Mentorship and professional guidance;
- Opportunity to work in close partnership with international NGOs and UN institutions;
- Opportunities for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Process filing an applicationProcess filing an application
Please send your resume and a cover letter with 3 professional references attached to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Social Media Intern Application” as the subject line. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for an interview. No phone calls, please. Applications close on 20 April 2020. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.
Please note that this is an unpaid internship, but remote work is possible.