Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline05/05/2020 – 20/05/2020
Work placeWork placeKyiv
General informationGeneral information
The Right to Protection (R2P), an all-Ukrainian charitable foundation, in partnership with HIAS that strives for Ukraine to become a country where refugees, stateless, non-citizens, and displaced persons enjoy dignity and protection launches the Advocacy and Legal Protection Project funded by UNHCR to be implemented in 2020.
The Project is aimed to provide protection and legal assistance to asylum seekers and refugees from around the world. The Project also contributes to building a humane asylum system in Ukraine by training local judges, immigration and law-enforcement officials, and law students, and by developing legislative proposals and administrative regulations.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
The Advocacy Expert as a member of the Project Team will be reported to the Project Manager, work in close cooperation with Advocacy Coordinator, PI Coordinator and all members of the Legal Team and third parties under contract with R2P.
- Maintains a broad overview of the changing political landscape and identify new and emerging advocacy opportunities and threats relevant to the situation of asylum seekers and refugees in Ukraine.
- Coordinating the Project’s advocacy efforts related to the social situation of refugees and asylum seekers in Ukraine.
- Create the advocacy strategy to meet the advocacy needs of the project. The strategy will be developed in close collaboration with Advocacy Coordinator, PI Coordinator and Project’s Strategic Litigation Coordinator.
- Coordinate implementation of advocacy activities outlined in the advocacy strategy with support of the Project’s staff and partners to improve national legislation concerning social rights of asylum seekers and refugees as well as raise awareness of international protection concerns among decision makers.
- Present the Project as agreed at the public events, governmental and non-governmental meetings and gatherings.
- Establish close collaboration and working arrangements with the project partners to ensure timely conduct of the project activities and adequate communication of all stakeholders including Government, CSO partners, business, international NGOs, including the collection of monitoring data for project reporting requirements;
- Conduct monitoring visits (including those in the frame of National Prevention Mechanism) to Migration Custody Centers, Borderguard Temporary Holding Facilities, transit zones of international airports.
Coordination and Representation
- Organize and conduct meetings with main actors at local and national levels.
- Ensure effective communication, coordination and information-sharing with other programmes and projects of R2P and among the project’s staff;
- Establish and maintain cooperation with key duty bearers;
- Represent the project at all relevant coordination fora with partner organizations as well as duty bearers.
Reporting & Accountability
- Produce high quality and timely reports in line with the donor guidelines within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies and procedures, particularly with respect to and the code of conduct.
Required qualificationsRequired qualifications
- Higher education in law, political science, international relations, human rights;
- An advocate license;
- Proven capacity to conduct lobbying and advocacy activities, design, and produce quality knowledge products, including policy and legal papers, etc;
- Experience in working with, and knowledge of human rights is a strong asset;
- Experience of working with the Ukrainian Parliament and Ukrainian executive state institutions is a strong asset;
- Good understanding and knowledge of the local situation and of the refugee community dynamics;
- Well-developed organization capacities, good communication and presentation skills, high level of responsibility, computer literacy, experience in planning and analysis of fulfilled work;
- Ability to work independently and in team and to meet deadlines;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Commitment to teamwork;
- Excellent Ukrainian, Russian and English language proficiency;
- Fulfil all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism.
- Good training and lecturing abilities shall represent an advantage and be preferred.
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract till December 31, 2020, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Application processApplication process
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title ‘Strategic Litigation Expert‘. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for interview. No phone calls, please.
Applications close date
20 May 2020. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.