Make a donation
Укр / Eng

Project description

The project «Legal Assistance to Stateless Persons» has been implemented with the support of UNHCR since June 2017. The project’s attorneys and legal analysts provide legal assistance to stateless persons (individuals who are not recognized as nationals by any country and who do not have the corresponding documentation.) The foundation (R2P) is also working to improve legislation for stateless persons, help them to confirm or acquire citizenship and to issue the passport. The foundation’s experts further conduct seminars on the protection of stateless persons for attorneys, government representatives, and other relevant stakeholders.

Description of previous project outcomes

Owing to legal assistance provided by R2P, 224 formerly stateless persons now hold a valid citizenship. An additional 914 individuals received legal consultation from the foundation. By means of R2P’s presentation at the World Conference on Statelessness, more than 290 foreign professionals from 60 nations received information about statelessness and the issues surrounding the documentation process in Ukraine. R2P’s team of experts also produced the first comparative report on statelessness in Ukraine and Russia. The project team monitored the issuance of passports by the SMS for NGCA residents and compiled a thematic report with recommendations for the improvement of legislation.

Project newsProject news

Passport – a universal key. The Story of Maria

«Sometimes, it seems that a little can surprise me at work, yet some impossible scenarios may…

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Story of Halyna Mykhail…

The State Migration Service of Ukraine (SMSU) advised Halyna Mykhailivna to turn CF “Right to Protection”…

Right to recognition. Story of Fakhridin, the first one to apply for a Stateless…

Fakhridin was born in 1993 in Tajikistan. At the age of 15, he moved to Ukraine…

No passport means no surgery. Story of Mykhailo

Mykhailo was born in the late 1960s in the Kursk region of the former USSR. In…

Stateless Determination Procedure in Ukraine: First applications are being consi…

On April 16, 2021, the procedure for recognition as a stateless person was introduced in Ukraine….

First passport at the age of 70 years old. Story of Dmytro

Dmytro Hryhorovych was born back in 1951 in the city of Makiivka, which is currently in…

  • Usefulmaterials
  • Project contacts
  • Legaltips
Report «Statelessness in Russia and Ukraine: possible ways to overcome the problem»

  • In order to get started and eventually get yourself documented in Ukraine, you should locate as many documents as possible. Examples of relevant documents to collect include any education certificates, a certificate establishing your current place of residence, a certificate from an official place of employment, and any other documents you can find which demonstrate your identity and background in some capacity. You should also renew your birth certificate, if possible. Your immediate relatives (parents, siblings) can apply for restoration of birth certificates if they have passports. R2P’s lawyers can also assist in renewing ost birth certificates. After you collect all of the documents you can, we recommend you apply with R2P to help gather other necessary information and possibly to submit an application to the courts to assist with your case.

  • If your Soviet passport contains a registration of your residence within Ukraine dated on or following Aug. 24, 1991 or, depending on your case, on or following Nov. 13, 1991, you should contact your local office of the State Migration Service. You will need to bring your Soviet passport, your birth certificate, and a certificate of current place of residence (which can be issued by a village council) or a residence registration certificate (issues by the Administrative Service Centers).

    If your Soviet passport does not contain the aforementioned registration, then you will need to collect documents which confirm your residence in Ukraine since August 24, 1991 (or, depending on your case, November 13, 1991) These documents may include education certificates, military service certificates, prison certificates, certificates from village councils, etc. Once you have collected all the relevant documents, it will be necessary to apply to the court in order to establish the fact of your permanent residence in Ukraine. After the court establishes your permanent residence in Ukraine and the decision enters into force, you can apply to the State Migration Service.

  • To register the birth of a child, you must contact the civil registry service at the child’s place of birth or at your place of actual residence. Both parents’ passports must be provided if the parents are married. If the mother is unmarried and does not have a passport, some relatives (including grandparents, sisters, brothers, and some others) who have Ukrainian passports may also apply to register the child’s birth. You will also need to provide a medical certificate of birth (Form 103/O). In order to successfully register the child’s birth and access the subsequent documentation, it is important that the mother’s first and last names are provided to the hospital correctly. Never, under any circumstances, provide the hospital with false or incorrect information.