Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline19/8/2021 – 28/8/2021
Right to Protection (R2P) is a Ukrainian not-for profit organization. R2P is dedicated to protecting refugees who find themselves in Ukraine due to dire circumstances. R2P ensures the protection and human rights of other vulnerable migrants – the conflict affected, the internally displaced (IDPs), the stateless, the undocumented, and those at risk of statelessness. R2P’s key programmatic strengths are legal assistance, monitoring, advocacy as well as government and civil society capacity building. R2P has approximately 150 staff members working across Ukraine.
R2P is undertaking a project on “Strengthening disaster risk mitigation in conflict affected areas of Ukraine”, to be implemented by a Consortium led by ACTED and including IMPACT Initiatives.
The project will aim to reduce the vulnerability of conflict-affected populations in Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts to the risks posed by flooded mines across both sides of the LOC. ACTED, IMPACT, and R2P will seek to understand the impact of the mines on the surrounding area, specifically hazards such as land subsidence, water pollution, and agricultural contamination. Through field research, engagement of local authorities and a cross-LoC dialogue series between environmental experts, the project aims to generate evidence on these risks as well as actionable recommendations. As a result of partner activities, local actors (notably authorities, CSOs, citizens) will have a greater understanding of environmental threats from flooded mines across the LOC that may impact their communities, and have practical recommendations to best report and address them.
The Advocacy Manager will be the person responsible for developing the Advocacy plan and targets under this project, aiming to achieve the project’s goals. He or she will report to Project Manager and work closely with Advocacy Analyst (who will work on the advocacy component as well), R2P’s Project Manager assistant (who will be responsible for the field trip component).
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
- Advocacy manager will help the project manager take the lead in coordinating the planning and implementation of project’s activity;
- Developing the advocacy plan, identify and implement most appropriate advocacy activities in close consultations with the Advocacy Analyst and Project manager;
- Supporting Advocacy Analyst, Soil analysis Expert and partners in preparing of compile an overview report to identify the negative impacts on the environment, economy, community assets, and the population, covering the issues of pollution of agricultural lands and produce, contamination of water sources, as well as the risks to infrastructure (taking into consideration the flow of wastewater streams).
- Organizing meetings at national and oblast level focused on the uncontrolled flooding of coal mines in the Donbass, which implies trips to the GCA areas of Eastern Ukraine.
- Oversight in establishing and maintaining contacts with the relevant branches and agencies of the Ukrainian government, NGOs and other parties as may be required for increasing effectiveness of the project. Ensure regular mapping of local stakeholders and services available in the targeted area
- Present the recommendations and key findings of the research and project activities to the relevant state agencies with the aim that this would be used during the formation of strategies and programs within the national policy cycle and the relevant prevention measures would be taken by authorities
- Coordinate with the facilitators to contribute R2P expertise to define the topics of the dialogue and the dialogue outputs.
- Keep regular communication, information exchange and ensure coordination with project partners.
- Coordinate project social media campaign.
- Preparation and coordination of various reports, including statistical and analytical;
- Assure the timely, accurate, and full submission of reporting;
- Participation in meetings and conferences on behalf of the consortium as well as R2P.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in law, international law, international relations, conflict or cultural studies or other relevant area;
- At least 2 years of advocacy activity experience;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Proven capacity to conduct lobbying and advocacy activities, design, and produce high quality deliverables, including policy papers, etc;
- Commitment to teamwork;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with diverse groups of people;
- Fluency in Ukrainian, Russian and English;
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Previous experience with disaster risk reduction/preparedness is an advantage, as would be humanitarian experience.
We offerWe offer
- R2P will offer the successful applicant a contract till 30 June 2022 in line with Ukrainian legislation, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
APPLICATION PROCESSAPPLICATION PROCESS
Send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com with the title ‘Advocacy Manager’. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for the interview. No phone calls, please.
APPLICATIONS CLOSE DATEAPPLICATIONS CLOSE DATE28 August 2021. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.