Date of publication – DeadlineDate of publication – Deadline20/07/2021 – 03/08/2021
The Right to Protection (R2P), an all-Ukrainian charitable foundation, in partnership with HIAS, that strives for Ukraine to become a country where refugees, stateless, non-citizens, and displaced persons enjoy dignity and protection, launches the Advocacy and Legal Protection Programme funded by UNHCR to be implemented in 2021.
The Programme is aimed to provide protection and legal assistance to asylum seekers and refugees from around the world. The Programme also contributes to building a humane asylum system in Ukraine by training local judges, immigration and law-enforcement officials, and law students, and by developing legislative proposals and administrative regulations.
Key Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Duties & Responsibilities
The Lawyer as a member of the Legal Team will be reported to the Project Manager, and work in close cooperation with Lviv-based Advocate and the Border-Monitoring Advocate in Kyiv.
- Preliminary interviews, in-depth interviews, and analysis of asylum claims in accordance with the Ukrainian laws and international refugee protection instruments; preparation of appropriate documents for asylum seekers on the basis of such interviews;
- Consultations of asylum seekers and refugees on asylum procedures in Ukraine, voluntary repatriation, resettlement and family reunion, integration procedures, citizenship issues, civic laws and other issues of interest and concern to asylum seekers and refugees;
- Representation and translation at government and law enforcement agencies, and in other situations when this may be deemed necessary by your supervisor;
- Legal counseling of asylum seekers on the governmental asylum procedure;
- Systematically monitoring the THFs at the segments of Ukraine-Poland and Ukraine-Belarus borders located in Volyn region;
- Monitoring the situation of asylum seekers and refugees at Zhuravici MAC on a regular basis;
- intervene in cases of arbitrary detention, risk of refoulement, ill-treatment, denial of access to asylum procedure for PoCs identified at the borders, including by means of ECtHR litigation and other forms of advocacy related to both systemic problems and individual incidents of human rights violations;
- Assistance to Senior Attorney in monitoring changes in international and Ukrainian legal and legislative acts related to the delivery of program services, and in maintenance and distribution of relevant legal information to colleagues and, when necessary, outside parties;
- Assistance to Senior Attorney in providing legal support for R2P operations, including but not limited to, preparation and review of relevant contractual documents, intervention in conflict situations and others requiring your input;
- Maintaining paper and computer files for cases counseled;
- Maintaining up-to-date information on country conditions for countries in your area of expertise;
- Preparation of reports, including statistical information;
- Participation in meetings and conferences on behalf of R2P.
Reporting & Accountability
- Produce high quality and timely reports in line with R2P guidelines within agreed deadlines;
- Comply with all relevant R2P policies and procedures, particularly with respect to child protection and the code of conduct.
Required qualifications and skillsRequired qualifications and skills
- Higher education in law;
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in legal practice;
- Excellent ability to communicate effectively in English, Ukrainian and Russian, both verbally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently and in team and to meet deadlines;
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Commitment to team work;
- Fulfill all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment;
- Cultural sensitivity and diplomacy;
- Treat all people fairly without favouritism.
We offerWe offer
R2P will offer the successful applicant:
- A contract till December 31, 2021, renewable dependent on funding and performance;
- Opportunity to work with one of the strongest Ukrainian human rights and humanitarian NGOs;
- Room for professional growth;
- Fun and energetic team;
- Respect for work/life balance.
Application processApplication process
Send resume to email@example.com. Responses will be sent only to those individuals who were selected for the interview. No phone calls, please.
More information about the organization.
Applications close dateApplications close date
3 August 2021. If an appropriate candidate is identified, R2P reserves the right to recruit ahead of this deadline.