This year, 83 applicants, accompanied by lawyers and attorneys of the R2P team, submitted their documents for the Stateless Determination Procedure (SDP). This has been made possible thanks to the effective cooperation with the State Migration Service of Ukraine (SMSU).
On December 2, during an online meeting with the representatives of the State Migration Service of the Kyiv Region, specialists of the CF “Right to Protection” (R2P) spoke about the legal assistance to the stateless persons and about the ways to solve problems in non-standard cases.
The event was joined by the employees of the SMS, including Olga Valetenko, Deputy Director of the Department, Head of the Temporary and Permanent Residence of Foreigners, and Stateless Persons of the State Migration Service of Ukraine.
Lawyers and advocates of the R2P Sofiia Kordonets, Victoria Volynska, Alexandra Aivazian, Konstiantyn Funzhyi, and Kseniia Karahiaur shared their own experience in this area and spoke about:
- The main categories of persons applying for the Stateless Determination Procedure (SDP);
- Challenges when submitting applications for an SDP;
- Ways to facilitate the application for recognition of stateless persons in non-standard cases.
Since April 2021, every person who can’t get a passport due to not being considered a citizen of any country, has the right to apply to the State Migration Service of Ukraine to become recognized as a stateless person.
Due to the implementation of an SDP, the CF “Right to Protection” (R2P) is holding its third event at the regional level with the representatives of the SMS of Ukraine.
The Team of the Fund plans to continue to meet with the government officials and other agencies to establish effective cooperation in this area, as well as to raise awareness and share the information about the new Stateless Determination Procedure.
Our team is sincerely grateful to the participants for their interest in the topic and for their active participation in the event! We look forward to continuing our cooperation.
USEFUL THEMATIC MATERIALS:
- Statelessness in Ukraine: scope and causes of the problem
- Про правовий статус особи, яку визнано ОБГ та про статус заявника
- Legal status of a person recognized as a stateless in Ukraine and the status of a person who applies for a statelessness determination procedure (SDP)
- Statelessness: Ukraine became the 21st country in the world and the 15th in Europe to establish a separate Stateless Determination Procedure (SDP)
- Instruction: How to apply for a stateless person status?
Project “Legal assistance to stateless persons in Ukraine” is implemented by the CF “Right to Protection” (R2P) with the support of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).